Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Am I really in love with you?

I thought I loved you, 
But I never really did...
Because to love is not to possess
Yet I wanted to have you.
Have you for myself. 
Every second, every minute, every hour
All day, everyday... forever
But love isn't about possession...
Perhaps, I was just addicted.

In the past few days I've had a insight about romantic love, which has left me pondering about it over and over again. In an era so promiscuous do we really fall in love every-so-often, or are people - our romantic partners specifically - an addiction? Now of course, if you are committed to someone and it feels right... then this is not applicable to you. But for those of us who are single, dating, and in a complicated, unsure relationship... are you really in love

In the age where everyone is so busy making a career and a living, we often get lonely at times. With no one to turn to on those "bad days". No one who would care to hear how the day went. No one to lend a shoulder and an ear. And when the going gets tough, we often look for support - could be emotional, spiritual,  or even physical... depends on the void we feel. And when these abysses grow we find ways to fill them - some do it with drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes, while some fill it with people. However, there are people who do it all to fill their void. Some feel extremely empty while others feel mildly empty. What you choose to fill your void depends on your values and the degree of your feelings. 

Romantic relationships in the current generation are a common occurrence. From preteens to young adults, and beyond, it's not rare to find people in short-term relationships. Why is it that we invest so much time and energy to date or be in a relationship with someone who we know we won't last with? And if you thought you'd last... wouldn't you work it out instead of falling out of love? In fact, often girls and guys have quite the attachment drama after break ups. Or as I would say - the withdrawal symptoms. 

Waiting around for that phone to beep, or that instant message to pop, or may be even for that person to sign in - is that a sign of being in love or an addiction? Talking to that person everyday, every hour, every minute, and getting to know them and sharing details of your day with them... Is that falling in love or an addiction? 

If that is called being in love, does that mean that I will fall in love with every person I talk to everyday, every hour, every minute? There's no doubt that if I talk to that person, I must like him/her. I wouldn't talk to someone I don't like. Knowing things about this person, sure makes him/her familiar... and familiarity brings comfort. With the sense of comfort, trust, and likability... I am sure to love this person - but then would I fall in love?

When I look back in time, at my romantic relationships - sure I love the other person involved, and probably always will... but the question is... was I in love? Even if I was, would I fall again? Probably not. And if I can't fall again, I probably didn't fall the first time either. My previous partners were the outlet of my problems, just like I was theirs. In this fast paced life, we were in sync because we both needed someone. And building on that, we had a relationship - of course I hadn't acknowledged that it was but an addiction. An addiction to an outlet.

But that's my experience... it may not hold true for you. I won't get into how love should be, because that is your decision for yourself as an individual. But do reflect on your relationship and share your insights... because just like you, I want answers too :) 

5 comments:

  1. The addiction, the attachment to that someone.... the waiting of that message to pop up, spending hours talking about everything irrelevant... all of this is Love! Addiction is love.

    This is a beautifully written article! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, thank you Abhay... I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

      Now, about love... I beg to differ. Addiction and attachment are selfish feelings and love is a pure emotion.

      Yes, I am aware that there are different kinds of love that we humans feel... and yet, love is love. There is more to it that selfish motives. There is always room for improvement in every aspect of life and likewise in the way we experience and feel things as well.

      I am not going to say that I have reached this level of self-less love, but I am trying. And the fact that I see a discrepancy between the two is quite a start to it. If I may say so, I write to explore... and learn. What I write is what I observe or feel and my objective is to understand and realize what I learn.

      But going back to the point, I don't agree that love is an addiction or an attachment - these are just effects of practicing selfish love.

      I hope I'm making sense!

      Delete
  2. "Selfish love" is also pure love in its own way, as it is in it's purest from in the impure love category. Everything in this world can be called pure and if not, nothing should be.

    Good, bad, selfish or pure love.... All of this are just words which have meaning because we gave it to them. Love existed long before these words or distinctions did. And I guess it worked well for them as everything was much simpler.

    Every individual is different!
    For some people, selfish love is not the right way ahead and for some pure love isn't.

    At the end of this beautiful journey of ours, all that will matter is inner peace.

    Aren't we all selfish? Irrespective of how much we all try not to be.... Only because "Selfish Love" is not recommended, that does not mean it's bad. Please don't look at it negatively, instead try to find beauty in it. Doing this is beautiful in its own way..

    Now I hope that I'm making sense!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do make sense. Now I have some food for thought! :)

      Delete
  3. Nice to know. :)
    I too will try to absorb, all that you've had to say!

    ReplyDelete